Introduction to programming
Synopsis of Module
This module is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts of problem solving using the basic constructs of a programming language. The module will cover basic data types, control structures, arrays and methods.
The module is of an introductory nature and aims to provide the student with essential transferable skills.
Aims of Module
- To provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to enable them to design and test simple computer programs.
- To provide students with an introduction to the fundamental concepts of programming.
- To provide students with an understanding of basic data types, arrays, structured programming constructs: selection, iteration, sequence and functions/procedures (methods).
- To provide students with an understanding of the principles of problem solving for program design and construction.
On completion of this module students will be able to
- Design a program from a specification;
- Formulate solutions to a number of basic programming problems using an appropriate design notation;
- Make effective use of basic data types arrays and structured programming control constructs : sequence, selection and iteration.
- Understand and make basic use of functions/procedures.