Synopsis of Module
This module aims to introduce the student to the theoretical and practical elements of relational databases. It will cover the creation and management of relational databases. It will include different kinds of querying and data manipulation in order to extract required data from a relational database.
Aims of Module
- To introduce the concept of the relational model and to provide an understanding of how to develop, query and maintain the relational model in a database management system (DBMS).
The student should be able to
- Recognise and describe the main features of the Relational Database Model and how to implement it using Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Understand a given relational database design (e.g. ERD) and implement it using SQL.
- Maintain a relational database.
- Design queries using Relational Algebra and implement them using SQL.
- Databases: nature, purpose, use and administration (20%)
- The Relational Database Model and Design (including ERDs and similar methodologies) (25%)
- Structured Query Language (SQL) (45%)
- Relational database management system considerations (10%)