By its very nature, a Database Management System (= DBMS) needs some kind of "Driver Application" that gives it statements to execute and to which it can return responses resulting from executing the statements. Therefore the demonstration prototype consists of 2 parts, the DBMS and a driver application.
In order to demonstrate the RAQUEL notation, it is convenient for the driver application to provide a means for users to write statements in RAQUEL, send them to the DBMS for execution, and see the results which the DBMS returns. Hence the driver application is in fact a simple GUI frontend which provides these facilities.
Consequently there are 2 (compressed) files, one for the RAQUEL DBMS program code, and the other for the Demonstration GUI.
Further details are as follows :
- A README file containing instructions for downloading the files and installing the code.
- Go to SourceForge for RAQUEL to see the files available there and download the source code of the prototype.
- A Schematic Architectural Overview of the DBMS and its GUI frontend.
- A Demonstration Database whose contents take one A4 page to write out. For convenience, this database is automatically loaded with the GUI frontend.
- Some example statements in RAQUEL that can be executed by the prototype DBMS on the Demonstration Database using the GUI.
- A User Guide to assist in using the GUI frontend.
- A summary of the limited Functionality of the Prototype RAQUEL DBMS, both the relational operators and assignments and the scalar operators and assignments.
See the Definition of RAQUEL for a comprehensive description of the full RAQUEL notation.
- A DBMS is a big product ! The current protoype has some significant limitations. The Prototype Limitations document summarises these.
If you have any queries about the prototype software, or any difficulties in getting the software installed and running, please send an email to
For a review of the RAQUEL database programming language and DBMS architecture, see RAQUEL from a Practical Point of View.